Monday, November 10, 2008

Join the Discussion: Running Shoes ... are stability shoes killing our run?

I feel like I'm living my own Cinderella story ... I'm not talking about a rags to riches (although, I'm open to that). I am talking about the seemingly never ending search for the shoe that fits (rather than looking for the foot that fits the shoe.) Is that too much to ask? I think not. But ...

I've tried 6 different style of shoes this year. First was the replacement version to the Nike shoe that I loved for years. I developed knee and IT pain. Then a different Nike shoe. Too stiff. With the help of some friendly and knowledgeable running store folks, I got a pair of Asics Kayano Structured Cushion shoes and within two weeks, my knee pain was gone, but I gained a new foot injury which took me out of running for 6 weeks. I traded in those shoes for a pair of Brooks Stability shoes and ran two miles in them, knowing from the get-go that they were very wrong for me. I went to the track, thinking that the discomfort was due to that initial breaking in process, and made it about 300 yards before the discomfort set in again. They felt like constricting bricks, super stiff which prevented me from ever getting to a normal stride. I took the shoes off and ran barefoot and low-and-behold ... no pain or discomfort.

I've was told that, because of the type foot injury I had, that I pronate. I didn't think this to be true. I'm a coach. I've had my run analyzed many times and pronate was never mentioned. But I did take over two years off from training and competition. Perhaps my stride had changed. I had someone video my run and I still don't pronate. I am a fairly neutral runner with a forefoot strike. However, reaffirming this knowledge hasn't made the search for shoes any easier. Am I destined to roam this world shoeless?!!

I have now set out on a new search for the perfect running shoe ... and will be trying out a pair of barefoot shoes in a few minutes.

I know everyone is different and has had different experiences. However, I would love to know what you think. Stability shoes? Neutral shoes? Barefoot shoes? Let's start a discussion.

Join our Facebook group and chime in by going here: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=6355&uid=44433972936#/group.php?gid=44433972936

No comments:

Post a Comment